Indoor Air Quality and Sick Building Syndrome: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) is known to affect the health, comfort and well-being of building occupants. Poor indoor air quality has been linked to sick building syndrome, reduced productivity and impaired learning in schools.
Signs and Symptoms
Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) is a medical condition where people in a building suffer from symptoms of illness or feel unwell for no apparent reason. The symptoms tend to increase in severity with the time people spend in the building, and improve over time or even disappear when people are away from the building.
Sick Building Causes
Sick building syndrome could be caused by:
- inadequate ventilation
- deteriorating fiberglass duct liners
- chemical contaminants from indoor or outdoor sources
- biological contaminants (bacteria, molds, pollen, and viruses)
- air recycled using fan coils
- traffic noise
- poor lighting
- buildings located in a polluted urban area (motor vehicle exhaust contributes to SBS).
Measures to prevent Sick Building Syndrome:
- plant toxin-absorbing greens, such as sansevieria
- replacement of water-stained ceiling tiles and carpeting
- using paints, adhesives, solvents, and pesticides in well-ventilated areas or only using these pollutant sources during periods of non-occupancy
- increasing the number of air exchanges; the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers recommend a minimum of 8.4 air exchanges per 24-hour period!
- proper and frequent maintenance of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems
- installation of Air Cleaning systems or devices to remove VOC’s, bioeffluents (people odors) from HVAC systems conditioned air
- place bedding in sunshine
- increased ventilation rates that are above the minimum guidelines
- lighting in the workplace should be designed to give individuals control, and be natural when possible.
More details about Sick Building Syndrome can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_building_syndrome
Green Buildings and OKFIL
Buildings can badly affect both people inside and nature outside. That is why eco construction with the usage of “green” technologies is getting more popular all over the world. We wrote about it in our previous article ECO CONSTRUCTION: WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT?
Green buildings which help to use less energy and water and create minimal waste may ensure healthy and environmentally friendly life.
OKFIL Company is also making its contribution to a better and “greener” life.
OKFIL Window Filter is an ecofrinedly device for positive ventilation and making homes full of clean air.
There are at least three reasons to call OKFIL Window Filters ecofriendly:
- They do not consume electricity at all.
- They purify the street air and improves Indoor Air Quality.
- They help to save on heating and cooling homes because allow keeping windows closed all the time.
Besides OKFIL Window Filters provide:
- 24/7 room ventilation
- protection from street noise and dust
- prevention of condensate and mold
- safety and comfort with the windows closed
OKFIL Window Filters very much suit to ECO construction area. Most buildings have windows and most windows need valves for positive ventilation. Choose to go with OKFIL and get profit of making clean air in every house. If you have questions about Window Filters please contact us.